My Personal Love for Windproof Hair and Quick Tips

Friday, February 13, 2009


What is up with the weather these days? The wind in New York City almost knocked me off my feet yesterday - I felt like Mary Poppins without the umbrella, fighting the elements and trying to push through the semi-tornados rushing past while still managing to carry my law books in my backpack on the way to school. Interestingly enough, a friend of mine emailed me and said - "well, you should be fine in this weather because you love it when the wind blows and your hair falls right back into place anyway." Well, I wouldn't say that yesterday's type of NYC-style tornados is my "cup of tea", but I will say that I love it when my hair falls perfectly back into place after being consumed by wind.

Here are a few of my personal tips for windproof hair:
1) Avoid product overload in your hair - if you overload your hair with gels, hair lotions, very heavy leave-in conditioners, etc., you are bound to pull an "Alfalfa" look in the wind.
2) The Dominican Blowout/Roundbrush technique (for straight hairstyles): Ever since I went the "Dominican hairstyling" route, I haven't looked back. The roundbrush method of drying my hair in layers is the best way to get that great shiny bounce in the hair that just falls perfectly back into place if messed up by a windstorm.
3) Avoid the extra strong hairspray - unless you use one of those very light hairsprays, hair stiffened up by too much hairspray in a windstorm is bound to look weird after being attacked by a windstorm.
4) No split ends - it is harder to manage any look when you have split ends. Trim those off, so you can have a more "tight" hairstyle bouncing straight back into place after it dances around outside.
5) Protect your tresses with some LIGHT hairdressing - the weather has all sorts of drying effects on your hair, so you want to protect your hair and its shine with a light hairdressing that does not weigh the hair down (I am a big fan of Chi Silk Infusion).

0 comments:

 
 
 
Bookmark and Share

Meter