Blacks Who "Grow Up White" - The "Oreo"/"Carlton" Complex

Wednesday, February 25, 2009


When I ask "what's your oreo status?," I'm not asking if you have a package of Oreo cookies in your kitchen cupboard. Nope - I'm going deeper on this one. When I ask this question, I'm asking: To what degree are you "black" on the outside and "white" on the inside? And is this even a legit question? What does it even mean to be black on the outside and white on the inside? Despite the ridiculousness of this question, plenty of people still refer to others as Oreos or imply it through their statements, so I am taking a moment to blog about it.

A lot of blacks get accused of being "Oreos" - a phenomenon I find quite intriguing. These "Carlton-esque" types (think "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air") are considered contrary to the norm because on some level, they remind people of what is considered "white culture" or "white standards" and yet, on the outside, happen to be black. Those who freely call others Oreos are likely to abide by the principle that speaking "white" is in opposition to speaking "black" (e.g. to speak articulately and without any usage of ebonics/broken English). "Oreo" logic also suggests that studying and doing well in school can turn you into an Oreo - as if studying and learning is so "culturally white" that you may as well just forget about studying and do something else if you want to maintain the true essence of "blackness" and remain cool among your peers.

Now...I have sympathy for Oreos. It is harder to be an Oreo in American society because they are fighting the multitude of stereotypes held against black Americans. Why bother risk being viewed as an Oreo and possible alienation by your peers?

Viewing my life through the lens of "Oreo-ology," I did indeed grow up as an Oreo but I didn't necessarily have what most people consider the "typical black American" experience growing up - my family is from the Caribbean (I am first-generation American) and I grew up in a predominately privileged white suburb, so I wasn't as much of an "other" to my peers because techically, we were mostly all "culturally white" - whether or not you were racially white. But I do believe my personality and my growing up experience would have been different if I, for example, grew up in a predominately black American environment which was not as economically privileged and more prone to critique me if I exhibited "Carlton" characteristics.

Every now and again I am reminded of my supposed "Carlton" status by various people - but I find that older non-black Americans (as well as non-blacks abroad), on average, are more likely to bring it to my attention as I grow older (I have recently been compared to Condoleeza Rice for some reason when I dress in either business casual or a formal suit). On average, people have said, "Wow, you are so articulate" or the classic "Well, you are different" comment (in their interesting attempt to compare me to "most black Americans") - as if somehow being black automatically means that I cannot form a grammatically correct sentence in my head or my personality and character are somehow an anomaly in the black American experience. I will admit that when people make these statements, I tend to automatically put them in the "ignorant" category in my head because I find it somewhat esoteric that they are shocked by the existence of an articulate black person, considering the growing amount of black politicians and media moguls that clearly defy the stereotypes out there. Now I just laugh it off, but it is still amusing to see someone get confused when they hear me talking on the cell phone and wonder how my voice is associated with brown skin.

Yet, I don't think that my existence makes them rethink their stereotypes of black Americans - I, to many of them, am the exception - just like Condoleeza Rice, Colin Powell, and President Barack Obama appear to be the "black exception" within the political arena. Clearly such "stereotypers" are not aware of the growing numbers of Oreos my age and younger who are bursting forth onto the professional scene. I just hope they don't get too overwhelmed by cookie overload.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't have said it any better myself. And I wonder if our last discussion made you ponder these feelings in more detail. It truly is interesting to see how society is still trying to grasp the concept of "oreo" in this day and age.

 
 
 
Bookmark and Share

Meter