Has "Sex and the City" taken over today's teens?

Tuesday, May 5, 2009


I just watched a clip of the Tyra Banks Show and was astonished by the very innocent-looking young woman on stage who felt very comfortable discussing her very promiscuous sex life as well as telling her parents about her different sexual experiences (who, by the way, were sitting right next to her). Like Tyra, my mouth dropped to the floor on several occasions, and I could not help but wonder - to what degree has "Sex and the City" become the norm among today's young women? To some degree we are shaped by the media we indulge in, and I am not surprised that the young woman on the Tyra Show admittedly related to Carrie Bradshaw (the main character on SATC). But I am more than disappointed in the fact that she (and I am sure plenty of other women) finds Carrie's type of behavior acceptable in society. One of the biggest take away points that I wanted to share in my brief blog post today is the fact that there is a BIG difference between television and reality when it comes to matters of romance, sex and the heart. Just like video games and violence have an impact on young men and their perception of real world violence, sex on television (think Gossip Girls, Sex and the City, and many soap operas, to name a few media items) have a major impact on young women who are looking for some sort of intimacy with the opposite sex. Very rarely do we see the innocent interactions between men and women as we saw on the hit television show, "Friends" (I adored that show!). Instead, we are taken more than knee-deep into the lustful passions of women both young and not-so-young, and as women relate more and more to the characters, the more they identify with the actions of the characters and consider incorporating such decision-making (wrong or right) into their own everyday lives.

To answer the question, "Has Sex and the City taken over today's teens?," I would love to answer, "No way!" However, my ideal answer and the real answer unfortunately may not sync up.

1 comments:

random said...

As a teenager myself I think not. Alot of adults believe that TV sows, music, and games affect teenagers everyday lives, our actions and our thoughts. But, in reality it doesn't. I see that most teenagers are affected by their friends more than what's on a tv screen. It is sad that young women are becoming sexually active more and more, and that there is more than needed TV shows and music about sex, but not all of our ideas come from that. Speaking for myself, I think for myself, I'm not still living the daydream life as I was when I was younger. Now that I'm older I can distinguish the difference between reality and television, sadly most people still can't.

 
 
 
Bookmark and Share

Meter