Is "Weave" A Dirty Word?

Friday, September 4, 2009

<-- Jessica Simpson's Clip-In Hair Extensions

As much as I support any woman who wants to have fun with their hair and diversify their look with hair extensions, I can't help but wonder: Is the word "weave" a dirty word? And if so, why?

I know that some women with naturally long hair take offense when another person accuses them of having fake hair, when the hair is completely natural. I also know that many women who do wear extensions take offense when someone points it out and teases them about it. However, considering the popularity of hair extensions over the ages, why do people freely accuse others of having a weave and then joke about it? For example, people continuously love to point out the fact that Beyonce, Tyra Banks, and Naomi Campbell all wear extensions. Many people even joke about it, to the degree where they have published videos on YouTube providing proof that they wear extensions. I have even heard women blatantly accuse another woman with long hair of having a weave, as if it were a bad thing (the statement is usually a variation of the following quote: "That isn't her real hair - she has a weave!"). One particular YouTube video attempts to make a convincing argument that "Weaves make [black women] look bad." Several black women with naturally long hair have also published videos on YouTube about their frustration with people accusing them of having weaves, when their hair is actually their own.

The degree of scrutiny over fake hair has led me to this question: Is the word "weave" a dirty word? Specifically, is "weave" a dirty word when talking about a black women's hair? To be honest, I really don't know, but I do know that many people of all races and ethnicities wear hair extensions hoping that people would make the assumption that it is their own hair. There are also people who feel a strange obligation to point out that a woman is wearing extensions, as if to discover a beauty flaw or insinuate that the person is not as beautiful because that hair supposedly does not naturally belong to the woman's body. They have gone so far as to tug on women's hair at public gatherings (e.g. at nightclubs) or quickly tap the back of the woman's head to test whether or not the woman is wearing a wig and/or can feel weave track lines on the back of the head. A lot of black women have had to deal with this issue, particularly in light of the fact that some people have a hard time digesting the fact that black women can naturally have long hair. An unnecessary and ridiculous situation? Yes. But does it happen? All the time.

I personally think people need to leave others alone when it comes to their hairstyle choices. I also think that it is silly to automatically assume that a black woman has hair extensions if she has long hair flowing down her back. And if you happen to like wearing hair extensions, keep rocking your look. If people have an issue with it, they'll get over it. If they don't, it is their issue, and not yours.

3 comments:

I cannot say if its dirty but apparently its bullet proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q2qKq7DiAQ

heehee! kzs

Yankeenaijababe said...

Quite shameful that Tyra and Beyonce have to prove to the world that they wear fake hair. I think wearing a weave is not a dirty thing, it accents a woman's look. I really think society is to blame for accusing black women of trying to copy what they have. Even if am rocking a fake weave and someone points that out. I don't care. It is my hair and my decision to wear one, they can't do nothing knowing black women have a different hair texture and can rock it in different ways.

First of, I am a Black woman. I have worn a weave in the past and I still would, very rarely, if my hair was in a poor state and warranted it. this wiuld serve to give the hair a break while it grew out.

However, weave should not be a permanent fixture in a Black woman's hair or life. I think that Black women should focus on growing their own REAL hair and nails. I am tired of Black women who wear weaves and do not take care of their own hair when it is perfectly possible for all Black women to have long hair no matter the texture.

Also, Tyra Banks is mixed and there is no reason for her to be wearing weaves since she has long flowing hair which I have seen in the past. Beyonce also has long flowing hair but she always chooses to wear a blonde style weave or lacefront. Good luck to them. I m not a big fan of either of those two anyway.

I think Black women should try to grow their own hair. We are all capable of having long flowing locks without being dependent on some fake hair to look good at all times.

Just my opinion really.

 
 
 
Bookmark and Share

Meter