Who Qualifies as America's Prominent Black Leader?

Monday, January 19, 2009

During my undergrad years at Harvard College, a non-black student jokingly referenced a controversy involving Al Sharpton and asked me, "How do you feel about your leader?" Despite his attempt to make a joke, I found the question a somewhat ignorant and failed attempt to make fun of a man considered by society (and clearly this student) as a prominent leader of black America. I have no issues with Al Sharpton - if I met him in real life, I hope that I would find him to be a pleasant individual. My central issue is with the fact that a prominent black leader in civil rights has not really existed since Martin Luther King and Malcolm X. And I've never considered Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton as their equivalents.

If this guy on campus asked me the same question today - "How do you feel about your leader?," I would actually respond with, "Oh, I love President Obama! Thanks for asking! And by the way - he is your leader too." It is as simple as that - I truly believe that Obama is the answer to my hope for another Dr. King. And I'm excited that he will not only qualify as a beautiful representative of black leadership, but a magnificent example of American leadership in the world today.

0 comments:

 
 
 
Bookmark and Share

Meter